Discover the the Natural Park of Serra d’Aires and Candeeiros and the beautiful region of Évora, a city classified by UNESCO as World Heritage Site. This is a chance to visit and walk in the beautiful countryside to the north and east of Lisbon in this exclusive week.
A unique opportunity to walk during the day and become a ‘chef’ at night.
- Wild, beautiful landscapes with limestone caves and ancient castles
- Good quality hotels
- 4 cookery classes
- The monestery of Batalha and the UNESCO heritage town of Evora
- Private transfer between the two regions
Day 1. Arrival at the town of Alvados close to Fatima, about 1.5 hours north of Lisbon. Overnight Alvados.
Day 2. Today you walk the ‘fossil route’ climbing gently the limestone slopes of the crook of Cornea in the natural park for great views over the Alvados valley. In the evening you meet the chef at your hotel and together you prepare your dinner! 14km. Overnight Alvados.
Day 3. Today you walk the Castelo trail of the natural park that takes you over the Santo Antonio plateau with amazing views and a great variety of plants; you may see falcons overhead. In the evening there is another cookery class with the chef! 13km. Overnight Alvados.
Day 4. A busy day! First you climb up to the caves of Santo Antonio – a huge complex occupying an area of more than 6,000sq.m and famous for its stalactites, stalagmites and dinosaur foot prints (we recommend you take a guided tour of 1 hour). Then you are transferred to Batalha to visit the monestery before a late afternoon transfer (about 2 hours) to your accommodation close to Evora, 8km. Overnight near Evora
Day 5. A walk along the beautiful Degebe valley passing old water mills before arriving at the ancient castle of Valongo. In the evening a cookery class where you learn to cook traditional Alentejo cuisine, 12km. Overnight near Evora.
Day 6. An easy walk following in part the amazing 16th century aquaduct as you make your way to the famous town of Evora where you have plenty of time to explore all the sites that the town has to offer, 15km. Overnight near Evora.
Day 7. A walk in the countryside and around the stunning medieval village of Monsaraz, famous for its well kept white houses and castle with views over the Alqueva lake. In the evening your last cookery class of the week and it promises to be amazing! 12.5km. Overnight near Evora
Day 8. Depart, we take you to the bus station for your return to Lisbon.
- 7 night’s accommodation in a twin room with en-suite facilities and breakfast
- 6 dinners with drinks, includes 4 cookery classes where you prepare your own dinner
- Comprehensive walking notes and maps
- 4 picnic lunches
- Taxi transfers to and from all walks where appropriate
- Transfer mid week to Evora
- Travel insurance
- Transport to and from Lisbon
- 1 dinner (the day you walk to Evora)
- 2 lunches
- Entrance to the monestery of Batalha and the caves of Santo Antoni